Monday 15 August 2016

My first Confederates.



My good mate Rodger and I have been plodding away painting up 54mm ACW troops for skirmish level wargames. Being something of a Rebel at heart, Rodger always favours the Confederates whilst I steadfastly support the Union. In fact I can truthfully say I have never taken the wargames field in command of a Confederate force. I have finally weakened however and decided to assist the Confederate cause by painting a few figures to bolster the numbers. Ten to be precise.

These are my first efforts at painting Rebs and to be honest I found them great fun to paint. I really like the irregular nature of the uniforms, if thats what you'd call them, as opposed to the standardised uniform of the boys in blue so painter fatigue is not such an issue. I may even be tempted to do a few cavalry once Ive painted my Expeditionary Force Union Cavalry. It will also be good practice for when I start painting my Armies in Plastic Boers.


Confederate Forces arrayed for battle.

Confederate officer

Here they come boys!

Just to make sure the balance of power doesnt shift to much in favour of the South I've evened up the score by painting some Iron Brigade and a unit of Coloured soldiers.








Rufus Dawes leads the Iron Brigade in a charge.



Union forces.

In keeping with the old school feel of this I've converted some figures to artillerymen to crew my recently purchase Britain's Napoleon 12 Pdr Smooth bore.


Load canister!


Pristine Britains Napoleon 12 Pdr c/w ramrods and bucket.

Finally Ive added a couple of pics of Rodgers outsanding Confederate cavalry for eye candy.







25 comments:

  1. Great stuff, painting is excellent and the terrain looks mighty grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For 54mm scale trees Ive reverted to the old tried and true method of sticking suitably tree like looking twigs into washer bases with hot melt glue and a blob of fimo suitably textured. I cant quite bring myself to use square blocks of wood for hills as in true Little Wars style however.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff! Some very nice painting there. That Britain's gun is fine indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a lovely model and getting hard to come by in NZ, especially fully intact ones.

      Delete
  3. Very nice (though I struggle a bit with your red text on that background)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound advice. Ive made some adjustments though I havent figured out how to get the parchment scroll background to continue past page one of the post as it reverts to basic white.

      Delete
  4. Tremendous stuff, loving these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I'm thoroughly enjoying painting 54's.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff. An excellent collection

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Those cavalry look fantastic!! The foot figures aren't too bad either, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too bad I guess! I'll take that as high praise indeed coming from you. BTW those Confederates I've painted are actually sleeper agents for the Union so if they suddenly start shooting at their own side in the middle of a game you'll no why.

      Delete
    2. Keep that sort of talk up and I will have to start painting up Union troops. Oh the shame!

      Delete
    3. Do you a power of good. BTW I had a crack at Sharp Practice rules with Dave last night and despite taking a bit to get your head round the rules at first you do get a great game with them and I think they are tailor made for the ACW 54mm forces we have at our disposal. The card generated movement and command thing actually works really well. Theres some random stuff that can happen which can really throw you and makes for good fun though purist gamers might find this off-putting as events happen that you have no control over, kind of like real war...Adrian would loathe these rules.

      Delete
    4. Painting union has never done me any good in the past! Next you will have me painting colonial troops!

      Delete
    5. Hmm, Colonials, funny you should mention that. I have a cunning plan involving Boers and Brits and you feature in there somewhere.

      Delete
  7. Painting Rebs...sacrilege!
    These figures would be perfect for a skirmish level game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorted...I had a Sharp Practice game with them last night. Just working on a Bat rep so keep an eye out for upcoming post.

      Delete
    2. Excellent news I look forward to seeing the AAR.
      What do you think of SP? I've been using Song of Drums and Shakos for my Napoleonic skirmishing, I like them.

      Delete
    3. Check out my latest post for a Sharp Practice AAR and quick review of rules. In short I like them a lot.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, love the confederate officer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I'm looking forward to painting cavalry next.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mobile App Development Company Delhi: We have the Top iPhone Android app developers team, offering custom mobile app development Services in Delhi.
    mobile app development company in delhi

    ReplyDelete