Monday 31 December 2012

Cross's Brigade,Union 2nd corps

At last, the first painted figures from my new painting room. These represent my first unit of Union troops painted in readiness for the Gettysburg Refight this July.
They represent troops from Cross's Brigade, 1st Div, 2nd Corps, Army of the Potomac.


"Pour it into them boys!"



"Get some Reb!"


 The figures, as most of you have probably recognized are Dixon 28mm. I have to admit I thought they looked a bit gnomish and porky when I undercoted them but as the colours went on and they finally appeared fully dressed and ready for action I was delighted with them. The deeply etched creases and details make painting a joy and in fact this unit was completed over four painting evenings from go to whoa...shows you how much fun I was having. Some of the faces are, shall we say, a bit odd and I cant help thinking they may have doubled as extras in a Lord of the Rings trilogy in a previous life?

They still require the bases to be textured and drybrushed but I couldn't wait to snap off a few pics.
So therefore... I cheated.
I've never photographed my models outdoors before and I have to say I'm fairly happy with the result, so much so that you can expect similar treatment of upcoming units in the future.
Actually this whole outdoor thing set me to thinking about the possibilities of outdoor wargaming as a viable option during the summer months. Imagine the grand scope of such battles....bold out-flanking route marches, cavalry scouting operations and dashing charges, Railways, troops actually embracing the use of roads cause if they dont you wont get there firstest with the mostest. And then there is of course the vagaries of weather to be considered. I have visions of middle aged men on hands and knees with sou westers and oilskins toiling away in the mud trying to get their troops marshalled into winter quarters. FANTASTIC!


14 comments:

  1. Excellent looking figures and photos. I don't do ACW, but these look really great and inspiring. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys I have big plans for my painting output for this New Year...hopefully they dont go the same way as last years commitment to lose 5kgs:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work mate. Pity they are all going down on the big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boulders, logs, flapping flags, battle cries, the bark and recoil of weapons, and the smell billowing barrel smoke...beautiful modeling!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look excellent Gav. Great work for 4 days effort! The out doors shot looks good too, though I may draw the line at hands and knees in the mud! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do look great I nearly bought Dixon as my figures as I have quite a few of them already. They come up very nice.
    Cheers
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting and evocative photography. I'm just starting my first unit of ACW so this was nicely inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic pictures and minis, great work!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Blog!Check the uk thunderball lottery result
    health lottery results

    ReplyDelete